2) It spliced what I wanted.. I just played between the having a mini attach (splice) himself to the leg Or just leave a blody hole.. the miniattaching became more prune to looking bad in certain situations, mainly I think when chipmunks collisiondetection couldn't keep up with some fastpace movement.
.. Then Julian asked "why does minis leave a hole in the leg with red pixels hanging in the air?" .. HAH :)
so.. now the next idea is to paint a bigger red circle (the outlining blood), and then a smaller circle-hole inside it..
3) I pondered alot about the backleg
- having a key to switch leg you're controlling with the arrowkeys
- having a key to just jump the backleg forward a set length
- having it's own set of arrowkeys (A,D,S,W) for full controll of both legs at the same time.
.. It ended up the way it did cause I think simplicity (especially in a small game like this) is good.. shouldn't be advanced controlls to learn or master.. so the backleg just skips along when you move the front-leg forward and it hits a certain width between the 2 legs (and you still hold the left-arrow down). If anyone got a good idea, let's hear it :P
I actually started with horizontal scrolling in mind but was scrapped due to complexity / timelimit. It's most likely a cool idea.. with the legs reaching various places, buildings on his own, triggering mini-rushes and other stuff comming at him. I also have http://pastie.org/539916
ready-made :) very advanced ;)... I should add automatic z-order there.
Btw, thanks for the reply on your blog ... what should I compile with? mingw? microsoft visual studio express? extconf.rb currently fails me cause it can't find winsock2.h, which I have, I'm just not sure how to tell extconf.rb where it is :)
Another question.. if you look at the gosu-sample "RMagickIntegration.rb".. the dynamic ground is fabolous, is texturefilling a (big) vector something that's alot of work to add in texplay? The example also make it even prettier by darkening the ground downwards... Alot of sidescrollers could use this.. I usually go for vectorgrounds/chipmunk and not plain horizontal tiles.