i enjoyed this game, but i destroyed the castle and guys kept popping out of thin air....how do i win it?
You gotta kill the king (See: gnorf4.png).
Wow! That is such a fun (but buggy ;) but FUN game! :D
It's like Rampage meets Worms (or gorilla.bas, for the oldskool QBASIC users out there ;)
Some suggestions (most of which you've probably thought of):
* Power gauge (instead of a tiny number that's nowhere near the action ;) Although it is quite intuitive; apparently you got the *perfect* "charging speed" on the throw! (At least for me ;)
* Stop the action when the player or king is "killed" (maybe a death animation, too? Or just a fade-out would do...) The first time I died I didn't read the message quickly enough and I kept tapping space, which ended up entering "A's" into the hiscore editor xD
* One "gimme" item (a rock?) on the field so you're not just waiting for a soldier to throw. Maybe one soldier could already be running at you when the level starts?
* A "popped" balloon sprite for holding/throwing (kinda silly to still be inflated...)
* No "backboard" effect; at least on the higher levels. It's a bit too easy to "bank it" into the king.
* Being able to pluck a soldier off a horse (if you "pick" w/out crouching first) The horse could just run off the left side of the screen. It would add another challenge element.
Overall, though, this is a great game concept! And, did I mention: it's really fun! :D
EDIT: Forgot one thing: It's "slain" not "slayed".
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1
I support all the extra polish :)
Cool you liked it so much! =) .. question is, can you put AAAAAAAA on top? :D
All very good points, I thought about some of them. Cool idea with plucking the soldier of the horse.. the horse is also kind of buggy now, he makes some very odd jump when reaching end of screen.. no idea why :D. Also kind of confusing to know when the horse is in attackmode.. (it's when his legs are doing 120 rpm). 20 minutes before the end of LD the horse did Nothing so ..
Throwing stones and other things is also a great idea.. even throwing the flowers (they're separate game objects) would be the kind of stupid detail that sometimes make up a game.
In Level 7 etc I start to notice quick lags when a castle-brick breaks... maybe I should go all out with chipmunk for the castle instead.. hit a red tower and have it impale the king etc ;).
Heh... Actually, I'm "AJB" on the hiscore list.
Re: the horse
IMO, the whole "attack mode" thing is a bit weird... Wouldn't they be more fiercely attacking while they're between you and the castle?
Here's how I would do the "cavalry":
1. Like the infantry, they bounce back and forth across the battlefield, continuously.
2. Also like the infantry, they have an "attack mode". You could have them holding a lance straight up when just moving, and then lower it and speed up a bit to "charge" (at which point they're able to do damage).
3. The unladen horses can't attack, but they run faster, so they're harder to pick up (and do less damage to the castle).
Re: throwing flowers:
lol :D That would rock... especially if they float gently down when thrown :)
You could even make it a challenging aspect: you would actually be grabbing a "bouquet" and each flower has to be thrown before anything else is grabbed. The bouquets could start at one flower, and get bigger each level. Basically, penalize for picking the flowers. You could mitigate the challenge a bit by dispensing with the "power" when throwing them; ie. just a tap of space will immediately throw one.
I thought about suggesting this (I didn't know if you were already using it until I looked at the source) but I kinda like the "old-skool" vertical-only falling.
I hope you keep working on this. It's got a proven fun-factor, and plenty of potential.
Oh.. was just wondering who that cheeky bastard who's closing in on my high score was .. ;)
:D I would be closer if the hi-score list code had more than a 50/50 chance of working... ;P
EDIT: Toldja ;)
I fixed a bug that sometimes led the game to crash just after gnorf dies yesterday.. it's on github and the ippa.se/games/gnorf.exe is new etc.
I don't have the time to get the Mac .app to completion but if you are awake and have a Mac buddy give it a try, it should be easy.
• download the .app from GoogleCode downloads
• throw source inside Resources folder, rename start_game.rb to Main.rb
• install the chingu gem, move chingu.rb and the chingu folder into Resources/lib in the .app
• fix TexPlay: in lib/texplay.rb remove require rbconfig and where the Config is used, just replace all these lines by require 'texplay.bundle'
• fix mime/types: No idea what this is, probably needs to go into the lib/ folder too
• fix ROOT, this is where I got stuck, chingu never finds any resources but also didn't tell me in which path it looked - I guess you should know how to debug that :)
• zip & upload everything
Results will only work on 10.6 as posted in the news. But on the upside, the newer .app contains the texplay binary, socket & yaml binaries and whatever else you may need for the highscore business. I just hope you don't need any binary gems except those I packaged :)
Powered by mwForum 2.29.7 © 1999-2015 Markus Wichitill