Just in time for Christmas LD #19, here's Chingu 0.8:
In late 0.7.x and 0.8 tons of new things have been implemented:
- I finally started doing tests (rspec) seriously. This has helped in making Chingu more stable and finding those small bugs I wouldn't otherwise had found. Thanks txus and spooner (on github) for helping me with this.
- Shipping with GameStates::Edit, just push it and you can edit your GameObjects on screen, and save and load your maps. Pretty minimalistic yet powerful.
- GameStates::EnterName, premade gamestate to have the gamer enter his alias/name.
- Example16 shows off how you can get online highscores for your game with _minimal_ work using class OnlineHighScore, GameStates::EnterName and a free account @ www.gamercv.com.
- Example21 shows off a sidescrolling game. Press 'E' anytime, edit any object, press 'E' again to return to the game and jump on that new block you just created. Edit as you play, enabled by the premade GameStates::Edit !
- README is updated, reflecting most of the new stuff. There's also a list of projects using Chingu so you easily can learn by example.
- Premade class SimpleMenu, for quick 'n easy menusystems. Nice for compos like LD.
- Tons of other small fixes, additions and tweaks. See github commitlog for everything ;)
Maybe most cool of all, a lot of quality patches from other ppl:
- HakubJozak made GameObject into a Chingu trait instead of a big monolithic class. This will open up for easier implementation of for example a ChipmunkObject.
- rewritten the inputhandling making it a whole lot better and more stable.
- added caching of fonts with Font (using default font size 16) or Font["verdana", 16] (verdana size 16)
- made it possible to change windows (Window#close deletes all the cached assets), for example if you want a splash window or a config window before the main game loads.
What is it: a game library depending on ruby/gosu
install: gem install chingu